Re: List of buffers under version control?

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: List of buffers under version control?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 14:14:50 -0700

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> wrote:
> Thank you. That was the missing bit.
>
> Something like this is it:
>
> (loop for buffer in (buffer-list)
>       until (if (vc-backend (buffer-file-name buffer))
>                 (buffer-modified-p buffer))
>       finally return (if (and (buffer-modified-p buffer)
>                               (vc-backend (buffer-file-name buffer)))
>                          1
>                        0))

Glad it helps. You could do something like this to avoid repeating the
calls to `vc-backend' and `buffer-modified-p':

(if (loop for buffer in (buffer-list)
          thereis (and (vc-backend (buffer-file-name buffer))
                       (buffer-modified-p buffer)))
    1
  0)

> Yes. This doesn't apply in my case, because I'm 'quering' emacs from
> within a script with the help of emacsclient -e and want just a yes / no
> answer (hence the 'un-lispish' return values). I just want to know, if
> this is the case (and ask for confirmation, to give me a chance to look
> at the thing, instead of just saving).

Not sure if it makes a difference for your use case, but
`save-some-buffers' does ask for confirmation before saving each buffer.

        John