Re: C-k messes up display -- have to redraw-display

From: rob . dunne
Subject: Re: C-k messes up display -- have to redraw-display
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 16:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, August 2, 2016 at 2:55:43 PM UTC+10, rob....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi emacs group,
>
> I am have a problem on a new machine.
> When I type C-k, the display is mucked up. The next line in the file is
> repeated
> multiple times. I have to use "M-x redraw-display" to fix it.
>
> The problem happens in .Rnw, and .s file (but perhaps not all other files).
>
> I can't find anything on the web about this problem.
>
> My question is
>
> 1) how can I fix it, or
> 2) how can I get more information about the problem? There in nothing in the
> messages buffer
> 3) can you show me how to make C-k delete to the end of a line and then call
> redraw-display? Not a neat thing to do, but better than what I am doing now
>

> Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7) of 2014-03-08 on
> lamiak, modified by Debian
>

> Bye

some new information
1) it happens in a graphics display not a text window (sorry -- I thought it
happened in both, so I did not specify it)
2) I installed emacs 25.1-rc1 -- the same thing happens i.e.
> pwd
/tmp/emacs-25.1
> emacs -Q  t.tex  #file with 1 letter per line -- a to h
#I put the cursor at a and press C-k -- it clears to the end of line
#I press C-k again to get rid of the blank line and the display then looks like

M-x redraw display fixes it

so far I have not found any other key combination that causes a problem

Bye