Re: Possible misleading example in `Incremental Search' Info node

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Possible misleading example in `Incremental Search' Info node
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 15:56:15 +0200

Udyant Wig wrote:

> Hence, ‘foo bar’ matches ‘foo bar’, ‘foo
> bar’, ‘foo bar’, and so on (but not
> ‘foobar’). More precisely, Emacs matches each
> sequence of space characters in the search
> string to a regular expression specified by
> the variable ‘search-whitespace-regexp’.

All examples with foo and bar are lazy and
unpedagogical at best and incomprehensible
at worst.

Show this to 100 people in the street without
further explanations and ask them explain what
happens and then compile the outcome what came
up on top carrying thru:

    (concat "It takes two" " to tango.") ; -> "It takes two to tango."

    (concat "foo"          "bar")        ; -> "foobar"

Worst thing tho is people when they don't know
what to call a thing calls it "foo"! Then this
lingers on in the code! H-e-l-l-o? Even

    1) Think

    2) Call it the first thing you think of

is better than to call it "foo" because then no
matter how bad an outcome at least you got some
practise using that thing! (The kidney, I mean.)

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -