Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?

From: Rolf Ade
Subject: Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 00:57:13 +0200

I wrote:
> I'm using emacs 24.5.1 on linux.
>
> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> The IMAP server is working; I'm able to access the IMAP account with
> thunderbird.
>
> I've tried all kind of configurations [...]
>
> The *Messages* buffer tells me things like
>
> "Opening nnimap server on umkehrbar...failed: BAD Invalid characters in atom"
>
> that doesn't help much.
>
> I'm able to talk to the IMAP server on the cmd line:
>
> [Complete example session deleted]
>
> What can I do to debug the problem?

Well, in the meantime, I'm able to use that IMAP account also with
wanderlust, although I haven't used that so far. The needed
configuration for that follows below, for IMAP and SMTP.

One special thing was, that I needed

(setq starttls-extra-arguments '("--insecure"))

because it is true, what the wanderlust error message in *Messages*
said: the host name of the certificate doesn't match.

If that certificate problem is the reason, why gnus doesn't work for me,
for this account - what would be the magic, that I could it make work
with gnus?

That's the wanderlust .wl, use:

;; IMAP
(setq elmo-imap4-default-server "xxx.de"
      elmo-imap4-default-user "yyy@xxx.de"
      elmo-imap4-default-stream-type 'starttls)

;; SMTP
(setq wl-smtp-connection-type 'starttls
      wl-smtp-posting-user "yyy@xxx.de"
      wl-smtp-authenticate-type "cram-md5"