require CL once and Gnus twice; also, downscoring threads

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: require CL once and Gnus twice; also, downscoring threads
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 03:20:56 +0200

A while back, I was told you shouldn't do

    xxx

(pedagogically, I don't mention what you
shouldn't do), instead, you should only do

    (require 'cl-lib)

for every and all such cases.

Who told me? It doesn't matter. I believed him.

However, with Gnus, building up the function
provided last, this

    (require 'gnus)

won't do it, instead

    (require 'gnus-score)
    (require 'gnus-sum)

will.

Is this because Gnus is a program and CL is
a library, or is it just one of them
inconsistencies the world - and in particular
the world of computing - is consistently
filled with?

Also, the code:

(defun gnus-summary-uncool-subject ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((subject (gnus-summary-article-subject)))
    (when subject
      (gnus-summary-score-entry
       "Subject" subject
       'e    ; exact string
       -1000 ; enough to mark-and-expunge; see .SCORE file
       nil)  ; no expiration DATE
      )))

Keep it real time.

                   - so far: 64 Blogomatic articles -