Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Gnus configuration to connect IMAP server?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 21:46:21 -0400

Rolf Ade <rolf@pointsman.de> writes:

> I'm using emacs 24.5.1 on linux.
>
> Up to now I used gnus just for an nntp feed and, as
> gnus-secondary-select-methods, gmane.
>
> I'm trying to add an IMAP account as another
> gnus-secondary-select-methods.
>
> The IMAP server is working; I'm able to access the IMAP account with
> thunderbird.
>
> I've tried all kind of configurations, starting from simple up to
> spelling out all kind of parameters, but no fun. E.g.
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news.gmane.org")
>                                       (nnimap "umkehrbar"
>                                               (nnimap-stream starttls)
>                                               (nnimap-address "xxx.de")
>                                               (nnimap-user "yyy@xxx.de")
>                                               (nnimap-inbox "INBOX"))))
>
> The *Messages* buffer tells me things like
>
> "Opening nnimap server on umkehrbar...failed: BAD Invalid characters in atom"
>
> that doesn't help much.

The internet indicates that dovecot is receiving characters it doesn't
like, probably in the password. My guess is that there is a quote
character of some sort in your password, and Gnus isn't doing the right
thing in encoding/escaping it.

Would you edebug the `nnimap-login' function and try to step through it?
What is the value of nnimap-authenticator? Which branch of that function
actually executes the login?

Mind you, I don't actually know how any of this works, but I'll bet
that's where the problem lies.

Eric