Re: How to change the keyboard mapping?

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: How to change the keyboard mapping?
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 01:35:51 +0100

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> wrote:
>> How can I map my alpha-ENTER to be the same as my numerical-ENTER please?
>>
>> I'm using a 'standard usb keyboard' (that's what it says on the
>> underside anyway) and I'm finding that when using emacs as normal I can
>> only accept entries on my dropdown word-prompt (I type in 3-4 letters
>> and it pops up a list of possible solutions) using the numerical-ENTER.
>> Also if it shows a possible one-word solution for auto-complete by the
>> grey letters to finish the word, I can only accept using the
>> numerical-ENTER key again.
>
> What package are you using for completion (i.e. the thing offering
> candidates via the dropdown)? I suspect the best solution will involve
> adding something to that package's mode map rather than remapping the
> key at a lower level in Emacs.
>
> If it's auto-complete, try this:
>
> (with-eval-after-load 'auto-complete
>   (define-key ac-completing-map [return] #'ac-complete))
>
> I don't have a keyboard with that key handy to test it, so I'm not sure
> it will help. The reason for the suggestion is that I noticed that
> auto-complete only binds `ac-complete' to "\r" (aka RET), whereas
> company binds both that and [return]. [return] is normally translated to
> RET, but it's possible for them to have different bindings.
>
> Out of curiosity I tried something like the below (which was my first
> thought for how to translate the "normal" enter key to the one on the
> numeric keypad) but the result is not good.
>
> (define-key key-translation-map (kbd "RET") [kp-enter])

Thanks John.

The programme is 'flyspell-popup'.

When I say 'alpha-ENTER' I mean the enter key immediately next to the
alphabetical section of the keyboard, and the 'numerical-ENTER' key is
immediately next to the numerical section of the keyboard.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.4, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 25.1.1