Re: emacs interface with gpg-agent stopped working (or stopped caching p

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: emacs interface with gpg-agent stopped working (or stopped caching passphrase)
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 17:52:39 +0300

derkire@gmail.com [2016-09-02 23:32:11-07] wrote:

> Expected (old) behavior: When opening (find-file) files in emacs,
> emacs contacts the gpg-agent, and a GUI window is popped to enter the
> passphrase. This is then enough to decrypt ALL additional .gpg files
> opened by emacs for the next 5 minutes.
>
> Actual (new) behavior: emacs instead asks for passphrase in the
> minibuffer (not GUI popup!), and the file will decrypt, BUT the PP has
> to be entered each time a new file is opened. That is, no more
> 5min/300sec window of caching. I interpret this to mean that the
> interface between emacs and the gpg-agent is not functioning
> correctly.

It looks to me that your Emacs is now using old GPG 1.4 and not GPG 2.x
version. Emacs has some magic code to choose which one to use but the
logic is unknown to me. There is also variable epg-gpg-program.

GPG 1.4 will connect to agent if ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf file has this line:

    use-agent

GPG 2.x don't need that option because they always connect to the agent.

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///