Re: Mode-specific font lock delays

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Mode-specific font lock delays
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2016 09:34:05 -0400

> 1) Changing the variable is not mode-specific, but changes how
> font-lock operates on all buffers. That's not right as I want the
> increased defer time to only apply to this mode's buffers.

Indeed, it was designed as a (global) user-option, not something decided
by the major mode.

> 2) When a file is opened, there is a flicker as font-lock waits for
> the timeout before highlighting the buffer. It would be much better if
> there was no delay for the first highlighting pass.

Hmmm... jit-lock currently doesn't distinguish the "first pass" at all.
Also I'm not sure if ignoring the jit-lock-defer for the "first pass"
would result in good behavior for you: it'd be laggy not just when
displaying the window the first time, but also everytime a new part of
the buffer becomes visible.

> Can these two problems be solved?

So far the experience has been that font-lock can be made fast enough
that those things aren't needed.

        Stefan