Overriding major mode key bindings

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Overriding major mode key bindings
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 16:02:21 -0800

using GNU Emacs 24.3. on ubuntu 14.04

I have keybindings established using 'global-set-key.
Some are being clobbered by a major mode (python and elpy).

I've tried the following with a mode-hook function:
1) unsetting those key sequences
or
2) defining those key sequences as 'nil
3) remapping the mode functions to a keymap of my own device:
i.e. a C-c n prefix.

1) and 2) fail to override the elpy bindings
3) works.

After some research, it looks like what I really should do is
to create my own minor mode and and bind the keys the I want to
"protect" to that minor mode.

See
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/352/how-to-override-major-mode-bindings/358#358

Am I on the right track? I am soliciting a second opinion.

If that's the way to go, I'm game to procede...

thanks
--
Tim