Re: purpose and usage of secondary-selection ???

From: ken
Subject: Re: purpose and usage of secondary-selection ???
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2016 13:48:02 -0400

Hmmm. I searched both my Inbox and Spam/Junk folder and found neither my own post or the reply. That's very strange.

On 09/16/2016 01:14 PM, Kaushal Modi wrote:

It showed. You also got a reply.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016, 12:56 PM ken <gebser@mousecar.com <mailto:gebser@mousecar.com>> wrote:

    Sometimes while typing on my laptop I accidentally brush against the
    touchpad and inadvertantly mess up something.  Today, while not even
    emacs, this happened, affecting what happened in an emacs frame which
    previously didn't even have the focus.

    What I ended up in that emacs frame was that a random section of text
    was set to background yellow.  Investigating further, I found that
    text
    with the yellow background was a secondary-selection.  But I couldn't
    find anything in the Help screens describing anything about it, except
    its properties.  So here are my questions:

    What is/are the purpose(s) of a secondary-selection?

    What can be done with a secondary-selection...? and how to do them?

    How do I undo this secondary-selection... i.e., make the selection go
    away without changing the file/buffer in any way?

    Thanks much.

    Note: I sent this same email to the group on Tuesday, but it never
    showed.  Has the server been down?

--

Kaushal Modi