Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest f

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Font selection algorithm / how do fonts work / what do you suggest for mono font?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 22:04:14 +0300

On 2016-09-25, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> What version of Emacs do you have installed?  I think Emacs 25 should
> do a better job by default, so try that first.

I am at latest available for Debian - 24.5.1

>From https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/news/NEWS.25.1

  ** New functions return extended information about fonts and faces.

  *** Frames now do not necessarily preserve the number of columns or lines
  they display when setting default font, menu bar, fringe width, or
  scroll bars.  In particular, maximized and fullscreen frames are
  conceptually never resized if such settings change.  For fullheight and

I don't see much changes in font selection algorithm.

Actually I have a problem, as I wrote ``terminus`` font missed some glyphs and
I expect that:

  (set-fontset-font nil nil "-misc-fixed-*-*-*--13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*")

was as fallback. But it has no effect. Fix with range resolve issue:

  ;; MODIFIER LETTER is not present in terminus, this includes ˌːˈ characters.
  (set-fontset-font nil '(#x02C0 . #x02FF)

Do I need file bug or I am wrong with (set-fontset-font nil nil ...)?

--
http://defun.work/