Re: Use another font for some characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Use another font for some characters
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 12:22:30 +0300

> From: Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:46:58 +0300
>
> Just to mention: these unpleasant effects don't bother me.

Please also note that Symbola is a variable-pitch font.  It might not
bother you, but others might very well be bothered (and were bothered
during the Emacs 25 development), which is why we switched to use the
default font (which is always monospaced) in the default
configuration.

> > May I ask why you don't want these characters displayed by your
> > default font?
>
> Because Symbola's arrows look much better for me!  I mean I like my
> default font (Liberation) for most characters, but for some characters I
> prefer to use other fonts.

Then please file a feature request bug report for this aspect to be
customizable.  We could add a user option to disable the automatic use
of the default font for symbols and punctuation.