Re: can't access info dir in emacs under msys2

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: can't access info dir in emacs under msys2
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2016 04:07:43 +0200

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Bostjan Vilfan <bjvilfan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> OK. Probably THAT was the problem (no dir file). But, is there an automatic
>> tool for creating the dir file?
>
> Install-info can be used.  It works one info file at a time though.  I
> don't know how to do a bulk install.  I've re-added help-gnu-emacs, I
> expect someone there will know.

If you use the 64 bits version, open a MSYS2 shell and

$ cd /mingw64/share/info
$ for f in *.info; do install-info.exe $f dir; done
$ for f in *.info.gz; do install-info.exe $f dir; done

If you use the 32 bits version, replace mingw64 with mingw32 above.

> A system like MSYS2 should come with the dir file correctly constructed.

Yes. Somehow the dir file is not created (or is deleted) when Emacs is
installed. I need to investigate why.