Extend Dired to Call a Function on a File?

From: Brendan Leber
Subject: Extend Dired to Call a Function on a File?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 10:46:07 -0700

Greetings!

I have a function I've used to work on files that right now I call
manually with M-x my-shiny-function RET my-shiny.file.  This works
great for the one off file.  Yet I usually have to process batches of
files in a given directory.  Being able to add a key binding to dired
would be awesome as I'm already using dired on the directory to rename
files and such.

I know enough elisp to add the key binding and write the function, I
think.  The place I'm stuck is getting the file name as the first
argument to the function when the binding is pressed.  Can anyone
share some pointers to make this happen?

Thanks!

C++ tries to guard against Murphy, not Machiavelli. - Damian Conway