Re: caching of passphrases for symmetrically encrypted files

From: Jim Gomi
Subject: Re: caching of passphrases for symmetrically encrypted files
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 08:13:27 -0500

On Mon, 2016-10-17 at 09:02 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> See
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-11/msg00421.html
>
> for how to do this with GnuPG 2.x.

Thank you for this information.
Following those instructions I added this to the
(custom-set-variables   ... ) section in .emacs :

'(epg-gpg-program "gpg2")
'(epa-pinentry-mode (quote loopback))

There is no need to alter ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf
because allow-loopback-pinentry is the default.

But still I am prompted twice for the passphrase when I save a
symmetrically encrypted file.

> AFAIU, you are customizing epg-gpg-program incorrectly.  See
> bug#24229:
>   https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24229

Thank you for this useful reference.
To make this work I had to add this to the (custom-set-variables   ... )
section in .emacs :
 '(epg-gpg-program "gpg")
 '(epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t)

This worked, but I would never have realized that from reading the
current documentation.

Where do I go to make suggestions about improving the documentation?