Re: emacs buffer message

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: emacs buffer message
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 15:54:37 +0000

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM Matthew Pritchard <wintermute24x7@icloud.com>
wrote:

> How do I disable this message so that it does not appear whenever I use
> emacs?
>
> ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp
> evaluation.
> ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.

>From the elisp info manual: (elisp) Startup Summary

-- User Option: initial-scratch-message
     This variable, if non-‘nil’, should be a string, which is treated
     as documentation to be inserted into the ‘*scratch*’ buffer when
     Emacs starts up.  If it is ‘nil’, the ‘*scratch*’ buffer is empty.

By default, the value of the `initial-scratch-message' variable is

";; This buffer is for text that is not saved, and for Lisp evaluation.\n;;
create a file, visit it with \\[find-file] and enter text in its
buffer.\n\n"

as seen when you do C-h v initial-scratch-message

So set that variable to nil in your config or using Customize.

--

Kaushal Modi