file uncompression with native Windows Emacs

From: Will Parsons
Subject: file uncompression with native Windows Emacs
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2016 20:29:03 -0500

I'm confused about what I should expect for file uncompression with
native Windows Emacs.  I'm running:

GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-w64-mingw32)

Curiously, if I visit a file compressed with bzip2, Emacs has no
problem opening it, but if I visit a file compressed with gzip, Emacs
complains that "Uncompression program 'gzip' not found".

How is this supposed to work?  I don't see any compression binaries
packages in the Emacs installation directory, but I do have an
ezwinports directory that contains bzip2 utilities, so perhaps Emacs
is using that (but how does it know?)  If ezwinports is the source of
bzip2 for Emacs, I don't see similar gzip utilities, so I'm quite
confused.

--
Will