Re: file uncompression with native Windows Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: file uncompression with native Windows Emacs
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:16:15 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'm quite sure there's a 64-bit port of gzip available from the MSYS2
> site, but you'll have to find it yourself, or maybe someone else here
> could post a URL.

MSYS2's gzip depends on the MSYS2 runtime (a Cygwin fork), it does not
provide a MinGW-w64 variant of that package (there is bzip2, though).

This is one of the reasons why I install my Emacs with uncompressed
files (no .elc.gz, .info.gz, etc).

IIRC the MSYS2 maintainer is worried about the possibility of some MSYS2
script picking up MinGW-w64 (native) binaries when they should use the
MSYS2 (POSIX) ones. That was his reasoning for not providing `grep'
until some of us convinced him and now that package is "use it at your
own risk" in case you use MSYS2 for running POSIX-based build systems.