Re: properly setting up ~/.emacs.d for daemon usage

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: properly setting up ~/.emacs.d for daemon usage
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 16:34:34 +0100

Filipe Silva <filipe.silva@gmail.com> writes:

> ​Óscar, sure. Here are some specifics:
>
> 1) The gui theme I use, zerodark (By Nicolas Petton, who is redesign
> elpa.gnu.org), queries display-graphic-p everytime it goes about defining a
> palete element:
>
> https://github.com/NicolasPetton/zerodark-theme/blob/master/zerodark-theme.el#L158-L162

That package assumes that a session will be either graphical or textual.
Apart from --daemon, you can activate server mode on any Emacs session,
thus making possible to create frames of either type.

>From my POV packages like this one are broken. Emacs allows to define
faces providing conditional values: this for ttys and that for X, etc. I
don't know why those themes go the (display-graphic-p) route.

You could advise display-graphic-p to return a value depending on how do
you intend to use that daemon. Try looking into command-line-args for
"--daemon=XXX" or, if that argument was already consumed, put some other
mark on the command line such as --eval="(quote graphical)".