About "white flashes" when a new frame is created

From: Andrea Cardaci
Subject: About "white flashes" when a new frame is created
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 14:36:44 +0000

Hi,

this isn't a bug report, I don't even know if this is an issue with Emacs
itself, but since it does not happen with other applications I decided to
ask here for some pointers about it. I was hoping that the patch by Daniel
Colascione [1] would addressed this issue too.

So here's the fact, when a new frame is created (whether it's a new Emacs
instance, C-x 5 2 or emacsclient) I notice that the window is initially
created white then painted according to the theme. Since my desktop setup
is mostly white this is quite annoying.

Please note that it's not a matter with Xresources as I managed to match
the X resources entities with the values from my Emacs theme (background,
no menu, no scrollbars, etc.) so to minimize any transitions. Here is what
I mean:

emacs.menuBar: off
emacs.toolBar: off
emacs.verticalScrollBars: off
emacs.background: #000000

Now, it is entirely possible that this is an issue with the window manager
(i3), but as I said this only happens with Emacs. In particular it doesn't
happen with rxvt, which has a black background too.

So I was wondering if someone else is experiencing this. Please let me know
if you need more details about my environment. I'm using Emacs straight
from the master branch (03de82fe7ca09ab40fbcae394d4fcdfe3374496e), but the
same happens with version 24 from the Debian Jessie repo.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrea

[1]:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=c29071587c64efb30792bd72248d3c791abd9337