Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Requiring elisp that comes with Emacs
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:40:55 -0600

> Why would you let someone else manage it for you?

This is not really an Emacs question. It is more of a quality of life
question. Still, since you asked...

I let someone else manage my Emacs installations for the same reasons that:

   - I no longer rebuild my Linux kernel daily (as I used to 20 or more
   years ago)
   - I rely on a third party to maintain a complex Python environment
   (despite having been one of the core Python developers in dim, dark the
   past)
   - Let the mechanic do tune-ups on my car

There is value in stability and knowing when others are better at a
particular task than I am (or at least good enough that I can delegate to
them). I can't be an expert in everything. Sometimes, even if I know I can
do the job myself, it's worth it to let someone else do it, because time -
as they say - is money. If I'm fiddling with my Emacs installation or
changing the oil in my car, that's time when I could have been doing
something else of more personal value to me, like working on paying work,
riding my bike, or having dinner with my wife. I have more important things
to do with my time than fiddle with a complex tool chain on a continuous
(or even occasional) basis.