Re: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: moving between buffers side-by-side using the keyboard
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:24:47 +0000

>> But if I do 'C-x o' now , it shows
>> (wrong-type-argument commandp outline-minor-mode-prefix) in command-execute
>>
>> So where do I go from here please?
>>
>> I don't have windmove or ace-window installed, but I'm quite prepared to
>> if it means that I get the required functionality.
>
> I'd say that _independently_ of whether you decide to use some
> other method, you might want to get the above problem straightened
> out.  How you do that can help you with other, similar problems later.
>
> First, what you are asking about is switching _windows_, not
> _buffers_.  Knowing the kind of thingie you are asking about can
> help you when trying to figure things out by looking at function
> and variable names, consulting the doc, etc.
>
> Second, to find whatever in your setup is taking over `C-x o' and
> stop it from doing so, recursively bisect your init file - that's
> a binary search for the culprit, and it is quite quick to do.
>
> You can do that by commenting out a region of text in your init
> file.  Comment out first 1/2 of it (stopping after a full sexp
> (expression), of course, so that what is commented out can be
> evaluated without error).  Then comment out half of the half that
> is problematic (so you've now narrowed it down to 1/4).  Then
> from 1/4 you keep doing the same thing: 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64,
> 1/128... until you get to whatever code is causing the problem.
>
> This is blind and dumb, but it is quick and systematic, and it
> cannot fail.
>
> If the problem turns out to be in some library that you load,
> then either stop loading it (!) or repeat the same operation
> on it, to see which part of it is problematic.
>
> To comment out a region of text you can use command
> `comment-region'.  (Bind it to a key, if you want.)  With a
> plain prefix arg (`C-u') it UNcomments the region instead.
> (That is, it removes one level of comments, leaving nested
> comments.)

Unfortunately I don't have the time to bisect my config, I need the time
for my book that I'm writing. Maybe I'll have the time at the weekend.

I accept that I used wrong terminology for my problem, but I felt that
calling it a 'buffer' would show what I was thinking and asking about.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1