Re: debugging Emacs LISP functions

From: John Valente
Subject: Re: debugging Emacs LISP functions
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 17:33:31 +0000 (UTC)

The blurring between "user" and "developer", in this case, has nothing to do
with free software.  Emacs is many things, including an elisp complier and
interpreter.  So the problem you're having is absolutely appropriate for a
user-level mailing list.
As far as Lisp goes, it's very common and canonical to have a function that can
return either a string or a list of strings.
I see someone else has already responded with some help about using the
debugger, and about evaluating source-code functions.  One other thing you
might try is quit emacs, and move or delete all the .elc files, and start it up
again.  I don't know how much that will work, because there might be code
around that notices the lack of .elc files and recompiles the source.  But I
don't think the core files do that.  As far as I recall, emacs is more than
happy to work with interpreted code.  It's just a little bit slower.
- John