Re: Emacs as an IDE

From: Francis Belliveau
Subject: Re: Emacs as an IDE
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 09:47:35 -0500

I admit that the original question was a bit open.  It assumed that some of us
readers knew how a specific pair of IDE's work.
A poor assumption since emacs wizards are more likely to use emacs as their IDE
with things customized as they desire.

So it seems that the answer to the basic question is: Yes, emacs can be
configured to be used in manner similar to an IDE.

I am not such a user, but would like to know how to configure such a thing.  I
do have some specific questions below.

As I understand it emacs triggers such things via "mode" that is normally tied
to file extension, so as long as all of your source files have a properly
uniques extension that identifies language, you get the correct mode
automatically.  For instance, I expect that you have already discovered that
your .java files come up in Java-Mode with a default set of coding-style rules.

The next problems are:
  How do I customize the coding style to my match desires?
and
  How do I get "code-finding" and "code-completion" to work?

I have been coding in C++ for a long time and am reasonably happy with how
those modes work, but I do not know the answer to my second question.  I also
use Java and could use help with the first question in that regard.
Again, I admit that the first question is way too general for a specific
answer, but a pointer regarding how to find where to start reading in the
documentation would be helpful.  Navigating the documentation requires one to
be able to follow the mind-set of the writer, and I just cannot seem to find my
way to what I need very easily.

Although a documentation pointer would also be a useful answer to the second
question, I expect that it would also be possible to provide an outline of the
basic steps so that I could better search the documentation for "how to"
information.  Clearly emacs would need some sort of symbol-table to tell it
which file a particular object/method exists in so that it can find its way to
said method and/or auto-complete a partial entry.

Some help with where to start would be useful.

Thanks,
Fran