Re: Getting the Bovinator off the ground

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Getting the Bovinator off the ground
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2017 14:29:09 -0700

> [I was trying to send this to emacs.cedet, but haven't figured out how
> to post there. Hoping someone here can help.]
>
> I'm running emacs from git, and have installed CEDET from git as well.
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to use language grammars, and am obviously
> misunderstanding something fairly basic. I'm just trying to get a super
> barebones Bovine grammar set up, and then trying to use
> `semantic-parse-region' to see what it returns, and start playing with
> it.

Actually, what I'm really after is just a way of parsing regular textual
input into a regular lisp structure. I feel like I'm continually
shooting myself in the foot with regular expressions, and wanted
something a little "stricter". I really like how grammars are defined in
the Bovinator's *.by files -- that feels like the right approach -- but
it may also be bringing in a bunch of of unneeded complexity: I don't
need tags or completion or anything.

Are there any lighter-weight approaches to this problem?

Thanks,
Eric