Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode

From: Amadeus W.M.
Subject: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 23:07:33 +0000 (UTC)

In tex mode Ctrl-c { used to put a pair of {} around the cursor, making
it ready to write in between the braces.

After a recent update, Ctrl-c { still introduces a pair of {} but if
inside that I do another Ctrl-c { then it introduces a newline too, like
this:

\sqrt{\hat{}
  }

i.e. the outer most closing brace goes on to the next line. That's very
annoying. Where do I customize Ctrl-c back to how it used to be?

Thanks!