Re: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode]

From: Amadeus W.M.
Subject: Re: Ctrl-c { behaviour changed in tex mode]
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2017 13:34:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 04 Apr 2017 12:35:58 +0200, hector wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 11:07:33PM +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> In tex mode Ctrl-c { used to put a pair of {} around the cursor, making
>> it ready to write in between the braces.
>>
>> After a recent update, Ctrl-c { still introduces a pair of {} but if
>> inside that I do another Ctrl-c { then it introduces a newline too,
>> like this:
>>
>> \sqrt{\hat{}
>>   }
>>
>> i.e. the outer most closing brace goes on to the next line. That's very
>> annoying. Where do I customize Ctrl-c back to how it used to be?
>
> I don't know because I'm using an old version. The great thing about
> Emacs is that if you can't customize it using variables, you can always
> go to the source.
>
> Since my version is old I'm just guessing.
>
> I see that it runs the command tex-insert-braces. Try that command with
> M-x tex-insert-braces in case the binding has been changed.
>
> You can see the definition with "C-hf" (describe-function) and visit the
> source.

Thanks, that's a good start. I looked at the tex-insert-braces definition
in tex-mode.el and this is all I've found:

(define-skeleton tex-insert-braces
  "Make a pair of braces and be poised to type inside of them."
  nil
  ?\{ _ ?})

I don't know lisp so that's very cryptic for me. I don't know what might
trigger it to insert a new line when doing nested C-c {