Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Color codes in GDB-GUD
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:50:30 +0300

> Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:03:09 +0200
>
> >> when working with gdb, started using M-x gdb with -annotate=1 I have color
> >> codes ^Z^Z everywhere, like:
> >>
> >> ^Z^Z/home/florian/precice/src/mapping/PetRadialBasisFctMapping.hpp:803:31382:beg:0x11668d9
> >>
> >> How can I get rid of them?
> >
> > Does it help to invoke "M-x gud-gdb RET" instead?
>
> Hello,
>
> that does seem to fix that issue.
>
> However:
>
> - clicking on the fringe to set a breakpoint does not work anymore
> - gdb-many-windows seems to be unavailable.

Of course, because gud-gdb doesn't support this fancy new stuff.  If
you want those features, then invoke GDB with "M-x gdb RET", but do
NOT add the -annotate=1 option to the GDB command line.  Instead,
leave the command line as Emacs offers, i.e "gdb -i=mi", and only edit
the name of the program you want to debug, if needed.  The -i=mi part
activates an alternative method of communicating with GDB that doesn't
need the annotations, and that ^Z^Z^Z^Z stuff is produced by
annotations.

> What is the difference between gdb and gud-gdb?

gud-gdb is the old gdb command, which uses annotations; gdb is a new
command which uses the GDB/MI interface for communicating with GDB,
and supports new GUI features in the Emacs GDB front-end.

You need to decide whether you want annotations or the new GUI
features; they cannot be had together.