Re: spell make it work emacs on AppleMac

From: hector
Subject: Re: spell make it work emacs on AppleMac
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:06:20 +0200

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 03:50:52AM +0100, Richard Smith wrote:
> On AppleMac "Air" - laptop - using as-installed emacs.
>
> ESC-x ispell not working - nor any other spell command.  Have lived
> for years without "spell" program in emacs
>
> Then couple of days ago, got surprise when accidentally pressed what
> must have been the ESC-tab command - and got spell-check on preceding
> word.

That's not spell-check but "ispell-complete-word". By the way, I never
use spell checking. Didn't know about this key binding either.

Really strange that ispell-complete-word works but not any other
ispell command does.

> So ispell is installed?
> Can I get it to work?

Since I don't have access to any Apple system I can't tell. Try to find
out if you have ispell installed. There are many UNIX utilities that
should be standard and be available anywhere but the reality is that
they aren't.

> Fifteen to twenty years ago, would charge forward typing text making
> many typo's and let ispell sort it all out.
> Miss it terribly - help appreciated.
>
> PS - does it make more sense to install a full unix?
> Miss GnuPlot, xfig, the GIMP, etc.

That is, like many matters in life, a question of taste or likings.
I can tell you, currently I wouldn't change my GNU/Linux system for
anything.