Re: Fixxed buffer size for eshell

From: Anast Gramm
Subject: Re: Fixxed buffer size for eshell
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 21:37:46 +0300

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 05:21:51PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:02:52 +0300
> > From: Anast Gramm <anastasis.gramm2@gmail.com>
> >
> > When I run a build command eshell gets filled with thousands of lines
> > with the compiler commands.
> >
> > This results in a huge buffer (>10mb) thus slowing down emacs.
>
> Large buffers shouldn't slow down Emacs.  They don't here.  And 10MB
> is not large by today's standards anyway.
Actually it's 10mb for every time I run the afformentioned commands,
so it gets big fast.

> Can you show a recipe for reproducing the problem?
An example is when I print the contents of a binary file using
a C++ program, and that file is big, eshell buffer gets ~50000 lines
at that point stuff moves slower for a while.

Compared to urxvt, when I print the file there, when the command finish
its just like a simple ls.

> Also, what Emacs version is that?
Emacs 25.1.1