Re: Fixxed buffer size for eshell

From: Anast Gramm
Subject: Re: Fixxed buffer size for eshell
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 15:15:45 +0300

On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 10:21:03PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> All I can say is that I cannot reproduce this here.  I've ran this
> command
>
>   $ od prog
>
> where prog is a 13MB executable program.  That filled the Eshell
> buffer with 190,000 lines, and I still didn't see any slowdown.  Not
> sure why you do see Emacs getting slower (I tried C-b and C-p).  Is
> this similar to what you do in your case?

Ok, I just run

od /bin/mixxx in eshell.

( mixxx is 11.6 MB binary and od /bin/mixxx | wc -l gave me ~750000 lines )

Emacs freezes when the buffer is at ~6500 lines,
the whole daemon stoped so I had to restart it to write this email.
MPD started glitching the music that was on, and firefox crashed.
Also my network manager restarted at that point.

I managed to open a terminal and type pkill emacs, and everything went back
to normal.

Is it possible that memory depletion is causing this? I got 8gb...

P.S. when I run the same command in urxvt it just prints out the octals
for a while without a single hint of lag anywhere on the pc.