Re: [Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: hector
Subject: Re: [Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 19:32:44 +0200

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 01:05:44PM -0400, ken wrote:

> I've heard all these arguments/instructions before.  They are
> neither comforting nor persuasive.  Also, I've been managing five
> mailing lists for about ten years, all of which have
> [mailing-list-name] descriptors (and many more other mailing lists
> earlier for fewer numbers of years), and absolutely *no one* /ever/
> complained, or even mentioned anything, about those descriptors.
> Heck, I'd guess over the past thirty years I'm been a member of
> easily a hundred different mailing lists, and never have I heard a
> complaint about those paltry few helpful characters appearing in
> list mail Subject lines.  So what problem does eliminating them
> meant to solve?

I don't think this is a reason to do something. Everybody could
be doing it wrong.

> Finally, computers and software are meant to make life and things
> easier.  A lot of tech people, and it seems especially Linux people,
> don't get that.  They appreciate and love wading through the
> complexity and seem to want others to as well.  But there are people
> who aren't as much enamored with all the technology and have other
> priorities... writing, for instance.  Isn't that supposed to be what
> emacs is about?

I can understand this but still don't see it's enough to change
the current behaviour. If my mail gets cluttered with "[from-list]"
stuff it doesn't make my life easier. One real-world example:
"[maillist-1] Fwd: [mailist-2] Re: Subject"

Personally I am with tomas. Here in Spain we say "un sitio para
cada cosa y cada cosa en su sitio" (each thing in its place).
If there is a header to put this information let's use it and.
Subject is for "subject". Nothing more. The mail relays keep
inserting all kinds of things here. Even the "Re:" is annoying
for me. So I think it's good as it is now.