Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [GNU-Emacs] request: better subject lines
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 04:01:38 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> For those wishing to read up on the saga these three
> in this order should get you up to speed on things.
>
>   https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2016/07/28/the-end-of-gmane/

I read that article back then, and I remember on one
of the groups (be it gmane.discuss) everyone,
including YT, encouraged Lars not to quit or to have
it handed over to someone else. What I remember he all
but instantly agreed not to have Gmane
disappear completely.

How anyone can have an IT job, Gnus, Gmane,
what's-the-name-of-the-web-browser (including
documentation) *and* a blog is beyond me. I don't
know, man.

Anyway if you read that article, you *do* get the
impression that it is the archive and web interface
that is the key part of Gmane. So maybe people
actually used that!

Except for this paragraph that sums it all up:

    The nice thing about a mailing list archive (with
    NNTP and HTTP interfaces) is that it enables
    software maintainers to say (whenever somebody
    suggests using Spiffy Collaboration Tool of the
    Month instead of yucky mailing lists) is “well,
    just read the stuff on Gmane, then”. I feel like
    I’m letting down a generation here.

Ha ha, I likewise very much dislike the "SCTs"!

                   - so far: 26 Blogomatic articles -