Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 05:39:10 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> If I wanted to transition my mailing activity
> from OSX's Mail app to Emacs

Good call :)

> I see plenty of tutorials on how to *start*
> using mail in Emacs, but not on how to move
> one's thousands of mails to a structure that
> Emacs can access...

I would not worry about the past. No one can do
anything about the past and the future will
come, inevitably. So just start using Gnus is
step one.

Some of the old mails are possibly still on
some server, in what case Gnus can fetch them
all at once with no problems.

As for your really old mails, not on the
server, how are they presently stored? It is
possible there is a parser that will respool
them in a format used by a Gnus backend. If so,
you can create a group, say old-mails, and then
populate that with the old material.

If there isn't a parser (respooler), it'll be
an uphill battle. Perhaps you can write it
yourself. Ask at gmane.emacs.gnus.user where
they should know.

--
underground experts united