Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 10:51:03 +0200

On Sat, Jun 03 2017, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
Before moving to Mac, and before UTF-8 was widely used, I was using a Debian machine with Mutt. So I had a setting for French mails, and another setting for Japanese mails, English mails were handled in either setting. I had fetchmail to get my pop mail and procmail for the filtering. It was a bit complex but I managed. That was 20 years ago. I hope things have evolved since then :)

It should definitely be possible to handle mail in different languages in the same environment nowadays. :-)

What I need though beyond a retrieval/display/sending system, is a way to access the selected mail from the OS side. I have a workflow that involves getting the selected mail, saving it separately and its attachments too, marking it with a given tag etc.

In the Emacs based system, I'd need to have a variable that points at that file, maybe a variable that points at its attachments, a way to "tag" the mail (I have half a dozen different tags), and I guess that's it for now...

I can't tell whether that work flow can be copied directly into Emacs, but it sounds like you might benefit from integrating your mail with Org. Mu4e allows you to create Org links to specific messages, which you can then use in capture templates or insert directly into an Org buffer. I suspect similar functionality exists for Gnus.

IIUC both mu4e and notmuch also support `X-Label:' headers, which you may be able to use for tagging. I don't know the details though, so you'd have to Google that a bit. But if you integrate Org into your mail work flow, you may be able to forego saving and tagging email, and just do all the tagging in your Org file.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments