Re: config problems and bisecting an org-mode configuration file

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: config problems and bisecting an org-mode configuration file
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2017 14:03:49 +0100

Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> And that's what I did, with very good support
>> form Drew giving me very explicit
>> instructions which helped resolve the problem
>> by showing me, eventually, where the problem
>> was. All kudos to Drew!
>
> This is his favorite method. I think he even
> got a name for it - "binary search", right?
>
> While there is no denying its advantages, with
> your situation, it seems you have a lot of
> configs and probably you should make the code
> more modular, so changes in one part is easy to
> pinpoint and have less or no impact on
> everything else.
>
> If you are using a module, say module M, you
> can create a file for configs for that module
> alone, say my-M.el, which has (require 'M) as
> the first line, and then load that file from
> .emacs.

My config is an org-mode file, with almost all code blocks in their own
module, plus I'm also timestamping each module so its also possible to
navigate using either Imenu or my date-stamps.

> Incidentally, this doesn't prevent binary
> search, tho - it won't be perfectly binary
> anymore :) - as you can then just comment out
> the line(s) in .emacs that loads the module(s).
>
> If you byte-compile the code, the compiler will
> help you determine what code interferes with
> what other, and you can remedy that by moving
> around stuff and adding more pairs of `require'
> and `provide'.

Every change to my config.org and the file is auto-compiled so that when
I restart emacs I don't have to wait for config.el to be generated.
Sometimes its a bit tiresome waiting for it to be generated but overall
it works very well.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.7