Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2017 10:13:28 +0200

Héctor Lahoz wrote:

> This task, change input between different
> languages, is not Emacs specific. Emacs is
> not the only application in the world and
> probably other applications will need this
> too. As I said it is a very common task.
> So it should not be provided by Emacs itself
> but by some underlying system, be it GTK,
> X11, or even the operating system.

Yes, good point. Input methods should be the
same all across. However leaving Emacs out of
the equation may be too quick a conclusion.
Because there are more to inputs than chars.
For example, the cursor/point movement - M-b
for `backward-word' and C-a for
`move-beginning-of-line' and all that (there
are *tons* of those). When you get into using
all that producing and editing text or code
gets very fast. But then, when you use
a non-Emacs application you feel totally
crippled. For example if you have an external
IRC client (e.g., irssi), or even worse an
external mail client (e.g., Thunderbird).
To switch from one of those to an in-house
solution, which here most often would be ERC
and Gnus, one of the immediate huge gains would
be getting all those finger habits working
immediately, and contrary to many others things
it will require no configuration or anything
save for the switch itself.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573