Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)

From: Bruce V Chiarelli
Subject: Re: Japanese input in Linux environment (fcitx-mozc)
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2017 06:27:32 -0700

Maria Shinoto writes:

> Just an update on my tests for Japanese input.
>
> I did not find a solution yet. Here are my intermediate results:
>
> - Emacs in the terminal works with Japanese (fcitx-mozc) flawlessly.
> - It seems to be a problem with GUI Emacs not being able to use fcitx-mozc.

I use fcitx and I had the same problems getting it to work. I don't even
use an Asian language keyboard at all, but I had to set LC_CTYPE (not
LANG!)  to zh_CN.UTF-8 and the XMODIFIERS variable to get it working.

Could you try starting emacs like this (from a bash shell)?

$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx emacs

This is different from setting the LANG environment variable, and works
even if you don't have the zh_CN locale built or installed. Gtk will
print a warning, but it's harmless. (Documented here:
https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Input_method_related_environment_variables)

--
Bruce V. Chiarelli