Re: Major and minor modes

From: Krishnakant
Subject: Re: Major and minor modes
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2017 10:13:42 +0530

On Saturday 17 June 2017 07:38 PM, Narendra Joshi wrote:
Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> writes:

A minor mode can be buffer-specific (local) or not
(global). Minor-mode key bindings override
major-mode key bindings.
Good point. This goes against the intuition of some
people who think what is bigger should be the boss,
period.

One can think of it like a compass needle. It works on
the magneticism of Earth itself. However put a small
magnet next to it, and it will override the entire
planet! It is thoughtworthy.
Wow! This is an awesome analogy. I really like it. :)

I suppose the "size" in this matter isn't the size
alone but also the *proximity*, just like with Emacs
major and minor modes, the minor mode being closer to
the user...

wonderful example, it's some thing I am going to use in my seminars to teach Emacs. The proximity based explanation should be used by every one who tries to teach Emacs to newbies.
I am going to add this as a comment to my blog.
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.