Re: Can't Get Org-Drill to Work

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Can't Get Org-Drill to Work
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:18:00 +0000

What is your emacs version?

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 9:47 AM M. P. <wintermute24x7@icloud.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install org-drip. I have org and org-contrib installed
> through Elpa.

Not that that could be causing the issue you are seeing, but there is no
point installing both org and org-plus-contrib. org-plus-contrib is a
super-set of org.

> The Problem has something to do with the line (require `org-drill. When I
> try to run this config I get
>
> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> ‘/Users/m.r.p/.emacs’:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: copy-list

copy-list is in the cl-lib library. So the order of your package
initialization is probably the issue.

The documentation tells me to You will also need to make sure that Org's
> "contrib/lisp" directory is in the emacs load-path. How do I do this?

You do not need to do anything like that if you are installing
org-plus-contrib. org-plus-contrib includes files from Org and contrib/
directories under one single flat directory hierarchy.

You need to update the load-path as suggested if you are cloning the Org
repo and *not* building Org as it's supposed to (by customizing the local.mk
).

>                              Here is my config file.
> ;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
> ;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,
> ;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.
> ;; You may delete these explanatory comments.
> (package-initialize)
> (require 'org-drill)
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";) t)
>
> Any Ideas would be most appreciated.

I would rearrange the above as:

(require 'package) ;You need this require so that the `package-archives'
var is declared
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";)
:append)
(package-initialize)               ;MANDATORY (before you require *any*
package)
;; Now do all the package requires as needed (I would rather let the
packages be
;; auto-loaded instead.)
(require 'org-drill) ;Assumes that you have already installed
`org-plus-contrib' first

You can step through the above in an emacs -Q session as follows (tested on
emacs 25.2):

1. Start emacs -Q
2. Evaluate the below:

(progn
  (require 'package) ;You need this require so that the `package-archives'
var is declared
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";)
:append)
  (package-initialize)
  (package-refresh-contents)
  (package-install 'org-plus-contrib)
  (require 'org-drill))

Then when I do M-: (featurep 'org-drill), I get "t" in the echo area. That
means that that package got loaded fine.
--

Kaushal Modi