Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish

From: Héctor Lahoz
Subject: Re: Emacs user manual in Spanish
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:39:45 +0200

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> It is a fact that people are getting better and
> better at English. When I was a kid, I was
> amazed with the Germans and so on whose English
> was way below our level. But now I've met
> several Germans in their 20s and they speak
> better English than I did when I was 20.

I agree.

> Especially for tech and science people, not
> mastering English, at least with respect to
> their own field(s), is to cripple them.
> And a great way to learn is to read manuals and
> other technology material.

I agree again. But the point is that perhaps some
people don't come to technology because of language
barrier issues. Perhaps if they could understand
the manual or understand it more easily they would
be more willing to come closer.

Somewhere I read that everyone who wants to use
Emacs or does use it understands English. Maybe.
But the question to be answered is: "is there
anyone who doesn't use Emacs because he can't
access the knowledge?" Or put it another way:
"There would be more people using Emacs if they
didn't need to learn English to use it?"

I also agree that technology shouldn't be
translated. Just because translations add nothing
in terms of knowledge or development. But it would
be just a help. You just put the notice "this
manual is not authoritative. In case of doubt
consult the original in English" and that's it.

I think it could help some people, making technology
closer to them.