Re: \201\236 appearing in emacs.desktop

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: \201\236 appearing in emacs.desktop
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 18:02:59 +0100

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:

> On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 01:23:22PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> <tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> [...]
>
>> I think that this is the answer to what you're saying -

>> Coding system for saving this buffer:
>>   U -- utf-8-unix (alias: mule-utf-8-unix)
> [...]
>
> Pretty unsurprising. Sorry I can't say where those \201\236 are
> coming from. Emacs is able to transparently represent "byte values"
> which would be an encoding error within an otherwise UTF-8 encoded
> buffer (actually it uses an extension of UTF-8 for that). To display
> that, it resorts to those octal escapes, \nnn.
>
> But no idea how they got in in the first place.
>
> What happens if you delete them? Do they reappear next time around?
Thanks Tomas.

Yes. The only way round it that I've found is once 'emacs.desktop' gets
corrupted like that is to delete it and then rebuild my previous opened
buffers from memory.

>> And my sig is correct, I am running these setups.
>
> Civilised :-)
>
>> And thinking about it, these are all settings relating to utf-8 in my
>> config file -
>
> [...]
>
>> I've separated the separate c ode blocks using #'s. Is it possible that
>> all of those could be causing my problem? And if so, what can I chop out
>> and yet still retain utf-8 working?
>
> They all look pretty harmless to me. Actually they should be mostly
> unnecessary, since the defaults should work more or less like that
> (but note that I may well have missed some detail!).

And now that I've been looking at all my old 'emacs.desktop' files, I
can't find any where its corrupted, so it seems to have corrected itself
this time. For a while at least.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.9