Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: desktop-read usage and syntax ::error, strange character
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 18:07:14 +0100

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> For some reason, when booting after a crash, the desktop isn't loaded; that
> is, the files which were
> loaded in the previous (crashed) session aren't loaded again.  I suspected
> this was due to
> "~/.emacs/.emacs.desktop.lock", so I deleted it.  Then I close emacs and
> start it again, but still
> the desktop isn't loaded.
>
> So then I try to load it by hand, ie, I run "M-x desktop-read"... this yields
> the error:
> "eval-buffer: Symbol's value as variable is void: Î".  Yes, the last
> character is a capital "I" with
> a carot above it.  If, from the "*scratch*" buffer I run (desktop-read
> "/home/user/.emacs.d/"), I
> get exactly the same error message.
>
> Anyone know what's going on?

I've had the same problem too, and the only thing that I can do is to
restore my buffers from memory. I use tabbar so its a bit easier as I
have tabs grouped by the major mode that they're using.

I also back up my 'emacs.desktop' every night at 1800, along with my
config file and my theme too, so its always possible for me to import
any of these files if the original one gets corrupted.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = https://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 9.0, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1, org-mode 9.0.9