Re: Is it only me or is your ding also silent?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Is it only me or is your ding also silent?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 18:48:36 +0200

Héctor Lahoz wrote:

> Besides, I still have some problems with
> English. Let's be honest here. I'll never
> master English as if it was my mother tongue.

No one did. Open a drawer in your kitchen and
start talking about the stuff you find there,
in English. Or read a book about the seven
seas. What are all these ship parts called, and
can you explain their purposes in English, even
as it is explained in the book?

With technology (computers) it is
another matter. One - there are so many
specific terms that have never been, and
shouldn't be, translated. (We talked about
"cut" in the other thread.) Second - there are
so many books and so much material that will
never be translated. Material which you need
and want.

This is why, after reading tons of such books,
and being in zillions of discussions -
hopefully not every single one of them about
"cut" - at that point it is more natural to
forever do it in English. Not because anyone is
"as good" in English as they are in their
native language in general.

> So I'd like to be able to read the Emacs
> manual in my own language. Just because
> I feel more comfortable with it.

Yes, and it is completely natural!

But depending on the situation for your
language, at some point you simply cannot do
that as there isn't any material left and you
still want to push further. And beyond that
point, you will soon be assimilated to.

Resistance is futile :)

--
underground experts united