Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 15:26:21 -0500

One thing I liked about the Mac was that click-to-focus meant exactly that.
If you hovered your mouse over a window which didn't have keyboard focus
and clicked, it changed keyboard focus, full stop. Said focus-changing
click was not also sent to the application. On Linux systems there is a
wide enough variety of window managers and one can either switch from
click-to-focus to focus-follows-mouse, or find a window manager which "does
the right thing."

Windows, not so much. I'd never used Windows until landing at my latest
job. Despite the fact that they employed me to write software for and on
Linux, they placed this Windows computer on my desk. Consequently, I
generally run with a bunch of PuTTY windows connected to Linux servers.
>From one of those windows I fire up my beloved Emacs with DISPLAY set back
to the Windows machine. (The Windows desktop machine runs something called
VcXsrv as an X11 server.)

I'm now faced with a small problem. Click-to-focus is the rule, but stupid,
stupid Windows also insists on passing the same click used to change focus
to the application itself. Maybe VcXsrv has some setting I've not
discovered (I can't even find the damn thing on the computer.) Is there
some way to make it stop? Can Emacs come to the rescue and somehow ignore
that initial, point-changing click?

Thx,

Skip Montanaro