Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Can Emacs help here (running on Linux, display on Windows)?
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2017 13:14:29 -0600

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > I'm now faced with a small problem. Click-to-focus is the rule, but stupid,
> > stupid Windows also insists on passing the same click used to change focus
> > to the application itself. Maybe VcXsrv has some setting I've not
> > discovered (I can't even find the damn thing on the computer.) Is there
> > some way to make it stop? Can Emacs come to the rescue and somehow ignore
> > that initial, point-changing click?
>
> What do you mean by "ignore"?  What does Emacs do upon that click that
> you'd like to avoid?  (I never used a Mac, and hope I never will, so I
> have no idea what does "change keyboard focus, full stop" really
> mean, on a GUI system where the window that has focus receives a flood
> of window-system events right away.)

When gui emacs receives the mouse click it moves the point to that
location from wherever it was before.  The point is moved.  You might
not want to move the point because it was where it needed to be for
the next edit.  But clicking on the window to raise it will also move
the point.

This is one of the reasons that I often use emacs inside of an XTerm
solely because then clicking on the window does not generate a mouse
event inside the terminal.  And also why mouseless window managers are
useful.  Moving focus and raising windows without generating a click
event and moving the point.

Skip, I think your only option is to click on the title, frame, or
border.  That should raise the window without sending an event to
emacs.  Or alternatively switching to using a emacs inside of a
terminal window.  Then clicking on the terminal will raise the
terminal without sending a mouse event to emacs.

Bob