Re: unable to visit /ftp:address@hidden:~

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: unable to visit /ftp:address@hidden:~
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:21:05 +0200

Gregor Zattler <telegraph@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Gregor,

>> I've just tried plain ftp in Emacs to "/ftp:anonymous@ftp.gnu.org:",
>> this works w/o problems on my machine. Could you try it also?
>
> Aha!:
>
> ftp> open ftp.gnu.org
> open ftp.gnu.org
> Connected to ftp.gnu.org.
> 220 GNU FTP server ready.
> 530 Please login with USER and PASS.
> 530 Please login with USER and PASS.
> SSL not available
> ftp>
>
> So there seems to be no ftp client in debian/stretch compatible
> with ange-ftp which supports ssl :-(
>
> Do you think this merits a bug report against emacs?

Too late :-)

I've installed ftp-ssl on my machine, and played with it and
ange-ftp. Same problem accessing "/ftp:anonymous@ftp.gnu.org:". But
finally, I've got it running:

1. ftp-ssl writes an additional line ange-ftp is not aware of:

SSL not available

I've submitted a patch to the Emacs repo adding this message in
ange-ftp.el. I let ange-ftp just skip this line.

2. ftp-ssl has an additional feature to support readline/editline. This
comes in the way of ange-ftp batch processing. You must suppress it.

There is `ange-ftp-ftp-program-args', which contains already useful
arguments. I've added "-e". And voilĂ , with the resulting setting
'("-e" "-i" "-n" "-g" "-v") I have been able to access
"/ftp:anonymous@ftp.gnu.org:".

> Thanks for your help, Gregor

Best regards, Michael.