Re: Mapping AltGr+t key as a Ctrl+x (How to use AltGr key effectively in

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Mapping AltGr+t key as a Ctrl+x (How to use AltGr key effectively in Emacs)
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 22:11:27 +0000 (UTC)

> I am using international keyboard and extensively use AltGr key. There are
> many unused keys with AltGr so I would like to map " AltGr+ t= Crtl+x " ( I

You can remap rightAlt to Hyper or super.

xmodmap -e "keycode 108 = Hyper_L" ; xmodmap -e  "add mod4 = Hyper_L"

In my keyboard right alt is keycode 108, but that depends on your keyboard
layout.

You can look at keysymdef.h for the keynames.

#define XK_Super_L                       0xffeb  /* Left super */
#define XK_Super_R                       0xffec  /* Right super */
#define XK_Hyper_L                       0xffed  /* Left hyper */
#define XK_Hyper_R                       0xffee  /* Right hyper */

Hyper and Super modifiers will be seen inside emacs.  Use C-h l (view lossage)
If it is mapped ok, pressing RighAlt-a you should see

 H-a C-h l

Your window manager might be catching the Hyper-a combination before it arrives
to emacs.
If so, use super instead of hyper.

Once this works you can customize RightAlt-a in elisp as

(global-set-key (kbd "H-a") 'function)

or (kbd "s-b") for super.

Note that you map it to a function.  I don't think you can remap it to C-x

The problem with all this is that applications outside emacs will not see
AltGr anymore.