Re: Spacing within org-mode tables when diacritics are used

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Spacing within org-mode tables when diacritics are used
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 18:13:51 +0300

> From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
> Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 07:58:17 -0700
>
> > Because 'length' returns the number of characters in a string, not the
> > number of bytes.  See its doc string.
>
> I know... Obviously this isn't worth arguing about, but I still suspect
> this is the change OP doesn't have:
>
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=4af31090b4420978067bc24512467bcc9a78a7f1

Maybe you are right, although string-width shouldn't affect display of
normal-width characters such as é.  It only affects double-width
characters, or characters that Emacs composes into a single grapheme
cluster.  Multibyte-ness per se doesn't come into play here.  That's
why I asked how that é was typed, and what was its encoding on the
file (if the table was imported from a file).  If there were actually
2 characters, e and ́, then yes, using length would produce wrong
results that string-width would fix.